Sunday, June 29, 2014

These Times They Are A Changing...

I've written about how hard it is to find a job nowadays.  Just the other day my personnel service sent me on an interview for a TWO WEEK assignment for data-entry work and making phone calls.  No, not a two YEAR job... two weeks.

Really?!


I decided I have time on my hands to do more than blog and be annoyed by these silly interviews. I've been volunteering since I was 17 years old for various non-profits like The ARC (special needs), PERG (environmental), EIES (radio for the blind), etc.  So, I drove out to a local historic park and filled out an application to do some volunteer work in tourism, like I did up in Plymouth, Massachusetts.





They emailed me later and asked if I'd ever had a BACKGROUND CHECK!  A background check to do volunteer work...


Really?!


This was my reply:



Dear Ms. _______,

I've been shaken by this email regarding a background check for volunteering in ______ County.  I'm writing this response because even though I don't think this will make a difference, I feel a need to write.

No, I'm 52 years old and I haven't had a background investigation.  Ever.

I probably would like one for my Grandfather though.  He served in the 28th Regiment in both Mexico and in WWI.  He was mustard gassed in Belgium and suffered from lung disease until he died in 1951. My Grandmother never received government benefits because the records for the 28th, between WWI and WWII burned.  He loved our country though.  So much so that he founded the Philadelphia chapter of the VFW.



My Grandfather was a Doughboy.

My father would have bristled at a background check though because he believed in freedom and privacy.  He believed, as I do, in the United States.  He didn't need a background check to serve honorably as a Marine in WWII at Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands.  I also don't think they checked the backgrounds of my ancestors who served during the Civil and Revolutionary
Wars.


Storming the Beach at Guadacanal.

So, no I haven't recently had a background investigation.  I actually just looked online to see what it involves.  No, I have nothing to hide but I have a lot I'd like to protect - especially my freedom as a citizen of the United States.  I really do believe in what Patrick Henry said, "Give me liberty, or give me death."  
really do.

I'm an American and I believe in our Civil Rights and the Constitution.  
I believe in our laws and that a person is innocent until proven guilty.
I believe in freedom.  

In 2011 and 2012 I was honored and thrilled to work at both Plymouth Massachusetts Visitor Centers and speak with people from all over the world about the Pilgrims and their importance in the founding of our country.  It is work I am very proud of and that's why I want to continue doing this in beautiful and historic _______ County.

I love New Jersey.  I love our rich history.  I brag about our State to everyone who doesn't live here, and even to those who do.  I understand times have changed but I really don't believe our citizens should have their civil rights compromised.  I actually believe most people are good and decent.  

I'd love to promote the legacy of Washington and his soldiers and the beauty and history of ______ County and our great State of New Jersey.  I'd like to talk to you and give you references.  



Thank you for listening and taking the time for this email.  I look forward to hearing from you.

I have to say I got a very kind response back, but they say I still need to have a background check for the job...

Guess I'll stick with blogging for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment